Spring Is In the Air, but Keep These Dangerous Flowers Away from Your Pets

0
100

amaryllisWhile it may be tempting to welcome back the warmth and sunshine of spring by bringing flowers into your home, if you have pets, you need to think twice about what flowers you can safely use as d├ęcor and which ones should be avoided because they can be toxic if your animals ingest them.

Below is a list of just some of the many flowers that, while attractive, can be dangerous to your pets, according to the ASPCA. Be sure to check the list if you’re uncertain of the safety of a plant before bringing it home.

Calla Lily

The calla lily, in the family Araceae, is toxic to both canines and felines. When a pet tries to eat this flower, he’ll experience vomiting, excessive drooling, irritation and burning of the entire mouth, and difficulty swallowing. As with all of the other toxic plants on this list, if your pet ingests this flower, you must call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center and get him help immediately.

Geranium

Although it’s a popular houseplant, dogs and cats who ingest geranium will experience anorexia, dermatitis, depression, and vomiting.

Amaryllis

Amaryllis is often also referred to as Saint Joseph Lily, Belladonna Lily, Naked Lady, and Cape Belladonna. Both dogs and cats shouldn’t come into contact with this toxic flower, as it will cause tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, hypersalivation, abdominal pain, and anorexia.

Oleander

Oleander isn’t only toxic to cats and dogs, it’s also toxic to horses. When ingested, this plant will cause symptoms that include incoordination, diarrhea that may be bloody, colic, difficulty breathing, shallow breathing, tremors, and cardiac failure. Although oleander might be pretty to look at, it’s best to keep this highly dangerous plant out of a home that has pets.

Gardenia

Gardenia is yet another flower that’s toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. It typically causes hives, mild vomiting, and mild diarrhea. Therefore, it’s best to keep this flower out of the reach of your animals.

Lily

While lilies aren’t toxic to dogs, you definitely want to keep them away from cats because they can cause kidney failure within 24-72 hours. Many types, from the Asiatic to the Easter and the Tiger lily, are highly poisonous and should be kept far away from felines. This is one of the most toxic species of flowers, as even just ingesting the pollen can cause death.

Daffodil

The daffodil, another popular spring flower, is toxic to pets, particularly if they ingest the bulbs. Symptoms of toxicity include low blood pressure, salivation, vomiting, convulsions, diarrhea, cardiac arrhythmias, and tremors. The more a pet consumes, the more severe the symptoms become.

Always bear in mind that a plant’s many parts can be toxic to an animal, from the pollen that falls from a flower, to the leaves, stem, and petals. If you have pets, it’s best to make the sacrifice and keep certain flowers out of your home while sticking to those that you’re certain are safe and non-toxic.