As a pet owner, you wouldn’t intentionally feed poisonous food to your dog. Almost every dog owner could tell you to keep the Halloween and easter chocolate away from the dog. However, there are many more foods that are dangerous for your dogs to consume that could cause sickness or death. Among the list of toxic foods for dogs are some surprising and common items that just might end up on the floor of your kitchen on a daily basis. Here’s a cheat sheet of poisonous foods to watch out for.
Grapes and Raisins
If you want to give your sweet pup a treat, make sure it’s not a grape or raisin. The hazard for dogs and grapes is not the small round shape that may get lodged in their throats – grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. The reason why grapes are toxic to dogs is that ingesting even one grape can cause sudden kidney failure. All breeds of all ages are at risk. The amount of grapes needed to cause this reaction is not known. Also, not all dogs are destined to have this reaction. Scientists are still not sure what chemical in the fruits causes kidney failure or why it causes harm to some dogs and not others. Keep your dog safe and find another treat.
Garlic and Onions
Don’t load up on these flavor enhancers if you are cooking a homemade dog or cat treat. Both garlic and onions are toxic to these animals. Garlic is five times more poisonous than onions. According to the Pet Poision Helpline, “Onion and garlic poisoning results in oxidative damage to the red blood cells (making the red blood cells more likely to rupture) and gastroenteritis (e.g., nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea).” All forms of garlic and onions are dangerous to dogs including fresh, powdered, dehydrated, and cooked.
As few as six macadamia nuts can be fatal to a dog, reports Pets Web MD. The exact chemical in the nut that is potentially fatal is unclear. However, if cookies with these nuts are in the house, keep them up high and away from your dog’s curious nose.
A warm weather favorite and a popular tree to have in a fruitful backyard. Eating avocado can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. However, in birds and rodents the food can cause death. The chemical persin, which is found in the leaves, seeds, and actual fruit of the avocado, is the cause of the destruction.
Symptoms of pet poisoning can vary from vomiting and diarrhea to pale gums and a racing heart and excessive thirst. If your pet is showing any signs of sickness call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 immediately.